Does it matter?

Dear Reader,

I wonder, does it really matter that you are not the first choice for anyone?

Not the first choice for a friend
Not the first choice for a partner.
Not the person someone thinks of when they have good news to share. 
Not the person they instinctively reach for when the world becomes a little too heavy.

Having been plagued by this thought, despite my relatively short time on this planet, I finally decided to sit with it last night, and I came to the conclusion that, no, it does not. It's not that you are not important; it's just that they simply have people who occupy different places in their life - and that is something that you cannot control. Now why fret over something that you cannot control? I think in such a situation that best thing one can do is be kind. 

Do not worry about being the first choice for a friend. Be the kind friend.
Do not worry about being the first choice for a partner. Be the kind partner.
Do not worry about being the first person someone reaches out to with good news. Be the kind person they are happy to share it with.
Do not worry about being the person they instinctively reach for when the world becomes a little too heavy.
Be the person who is there when they do.

Perhaps being someone's first choice was never the point.

Perhaps being someone worth choosing was.


-P

Comments